This page contains our Safeguarding Policy and Contact Details of places to find help:
Desmond Watson 01451 831489 and Dr Dilys Neill 07799 431044 are designated persons to address these issues. They can be your first port of call.
You can also visit the Diocesan Safeguarding web pages at https://www.gloucester.anglican.org/about-us/safeguarding/ - this page has the Diocesan Safeguarding Advisor’s contact details and details of how anyone can report a concern.
If you have any concerns about how are churches are relating to a child or a vulnerable adult please get in touch with one of the above contacts as soon as possible.
The Benefice Safeguarding Statement has been approved and is annually reviewed by each PCC in the Benefice. Safeguarding is very important to us. It is considered on every PCC agenda and at all of our Annual Meetings:
This Benefice Safeguarding Statement was adopted by St Edwards PCC at the Parochial Church Council meeting held on 26th April 2022
The Parish of St Edward’s Church, Stow-on-the-Wold
PROMOTING A SAFER CHURCH
The following policy was agreed at the Annual Parochial Church Meeting (APCM) meeting held on 25th APRIL 2023.
In accordance with the Church of England Safeguarding Policy our church is committed to:
- Promoting a safer environment and culture.
- Safely recruiting and supporting all those with any responsibility related to children, young people and vulnerable adults within the church.
- Responding promptly to every safeguarding concern or allegation.
- Caring pastorally for victims/survivors of abuse and other affected persons.
- Caring pastorally for those who are the subject of concerns or allegations of abuse and other affected persons.
- Responding to those that may pose a present risk to others.
The Parish will:
- Create a safe and caring place for all.
- Have a named Parish Safeguarding Officer (PSO) to work with the incumbent and the PCC to implement policy and procedures.
- Safely recruit, train and support all those with any responsibility for children, young people and adults to have the confidence and skills to recognise and respond to abuse.
- Ensure that there is appropriate insurance cover for all activities involving children and adults undertaken in the name of the parish.
- Display in church premises and on the Parish website the details of who to contact if there are safeguarding concerns or support needs.
- Listen to and take seriously all those who disclose abuse.
- Take steps to protect children and adults when a safeguarding concern of any kind arises, following House of Bishops guidance, including notifying the Diocesan Safeguarding Adviser (DSA) and statutory agencies immediately.
- Offer support to victims/survivors of abuse regardless of the type of abuse, when or where it occurred.
- Care for and monitor any member of the church community who may pose a risk to children and adults whilst maintaining appropriate confidentiality and the safety of all parties.
- Ensure that health and safety policy, procedures and risk assessments are in place and that these are reviewed annually.
- Review the implementation of the Safeguarding Policy, Procedures and Practices at least annually.
Each person who works within this church community will agree to abide by this policy and the guidelines established by this church.
This church appoints DESMOND WATSON and DILYS NEILL as the Parish/Benefice Safeguarding Officers
Incumbent REVEREND KAREN WELLMAN Churchwarden DESMOND WATSON
Date: 25th APRIL 2023